Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Green)


I laughed more at Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World than I did at The Other Guys. I did not see that coming.


A plot consisting of Michael Cera fighting off the seven evil exes of the girl he’s fallen for has so much against it that it’s a miracle it turned into one of the most entertaining movies of the summer.


There have been many attempts at making movies look like moving comic books but they have all come up short, (Sin City, 300, Watchmen, Speed Racer - I know Speed Racer isn’t based off a comic but it’s style is a lot like Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World that we’ll just pretend it’s based on a comic and not anime) or they just end up embarrassing themselves (Hulk)


This is the only movie that was able to pull off the comic book look. It did it the only way it could work, by making it part of the joke.


It works.


You can tell right from the beginning that this show is going to be awesome. They show us the Universal logo and we hear the Universal theme; they are both done in 8-bit. You can’t help but smile.


After ten minutes I had fallen in love with this world. I had no idea how they were going to keep my attention through 7 battles but they did.


Each battle was so unique that instead of dreading the next encounter you were eagerly anticipating it. It’s hard for me to pick my favorite one because each of them were so cool and so different they almost don’t fall under the same category.


But if I had to pick it would be the telepathic vegan. That’s straight up genius.


Vegan academy? Awesome.


I deem this movie the most underrated movie of the summer. How can it already be out of the box office top ten? It's so clever and so entertaining. If you like comics, laughing, video games, music videos, Toronto, or anime you should go see this movie immediately.


Who doesn’t fall into one of those categories?


Also, Michael Cera totally redeems himself for being in unwatchable movies ever since Arrested Development *sniff* was cancelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment