Saturday, July 24, 2010

Inception (Green)

Calling this movie (Green) isn't enough. I should make a new category for required viewing. If you don't know what (Green) means click here.

It’s hard to write movie reviews for movies that rock. Did you notice that I still hadn’t written one for Toy Story 3 (go see that movie)?


That's because it’s way easier and more fun to point out a movie’s faults then to say what I loved about it.


Inception was my last hope for a good movie. Not just for the summer but for the year. The trailer had me really curious and nervously excited. Could it really live up to the hype?


It could and it did.


I’ve already gone to see it twice. I might even see it one more time in Imax just because this movie would be phenomenal in Imax.


Inception is awesome. A fantastically original story. It’s the kind of sweet story that I wish I had written. It’s the kind of movie people are going to be talking about for years.


It’s about a dream thief named Cobb who goes into peoples dreams to steel their Ideas. That’s called extraction. Inception is the opposite, when you insert an Idea into someone’s mind during their dreams and it’s nearly impossible. You can’t insert a foreign idea into someone’s mind without it’s subconscious turning against you and trying to kill you. But don’t worry when you die in a dream you just wake up…usually.


Confused yet?


Don’t worry. It all works. This movie is loaded with exposition but it is still the most exciting movie of the year. It’s a great example of turning exposition into ammunition.


In fact, the whole first half of the movie is exposition. My brother leaned over to me and whispered, This movie is awesome. It was my second time seeing it and I knew what was coming. They hadn’t even started the job of implanting an idea into someone's mind. I whispered back to him, you haven’t seen anything yet.


By the end there are four different story lines with multiple characters in unique situations, each story is running at a different speed, and what happens in one affects what happens in the others. It’s so complex it’s a miracle that the film makers can pull it off and still make it awesomely entertaining.


My biggest fear when I heard this was a movie about a dream within a dream (it’s no where near to being that simple) I was worried about the ending. If the whole movie turned out to a dream then I was going to be spitting angry.


The ending for this movie is perfect. I won’t spoil it for you but I was surprised that I enjoyed that kind of ending. I would love to story talk it to death but I won’t ruin it for you.


This movie is complicated and it does have a lot of rules to keep track of but it all works. I think anyway. I have a couple questions about the climax but I don't even know what to ask. I'd have to see it one more time to find out if there is a loop hole.


But even if there is the movie is still a must see. And I mean that. You must see this movie. Yesterday I was looking at what movie were coming out in the next little while and I got to next april before I realized there was nothing exciting coming out for a long time. Go see Inception before the movie drought starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment